Keeping connected in Europe

We're planning to spend a few months this year travelling Europe before returning to NZ for the medium term future, after 7 years of living in the UK.

To keep 'connected' while we're away, I've been looking into 3G data plans, so we can jam a 3G USB stick into either the MacBook or the husbands new Dell Mini 9 'netbook', and upload photos, email, and skype family and friends. Sadly, the only slightly decent option I can see, is via Vodafone UK, who have a £15/month plan (3G allowance), and a 'capped' roaming charge at around £8.50 (tho I can't find it anywhere on their site, so this is just rumor!) /day in certian countries. That *might* be OK, but it's only on a 24 month plan... which is crazy money :(

A lot of hotels in France and other western European countries have free wifi, but I have a feeling we won't be staying in hotels with that many star ratings for most of the trip!

I've tried to have a look around Vodafone sites in other countries, to see if we can get a 3G prepay sim, but as soon as you switch to English language, all you get is info on roaming in their country.

The EU has been working on lowering roaming costs in member states, but if you don't pick up a 12 or 24 month contract, it doesn't apply, so I'm not too sure of our options!

If anyone has any tips on staying connected around Western and possibly parts of Eastern Europe without using dodgy cyber-cafes with their malware laden PC's, or getting totally ripped off using my iPhone as a modem at £3/MB in EU states, and £6/MB anywhere else (need to pwn the phone also to get that working which I haven't got around to yet), let me know in comments.

Comments

  1. This is a magnificent post Keeping connected in Europe . I benefit from the knowledge lot. I will bookmark this page. show gratitude’s for sharing this knowledge.

    Oceanography dissertation topics

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts